November 3, 2016

Review: Phoenix Child

Phoenix Child Phoenix Child by Alica McKenna-Johnson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was given this book in place for an honest review.

Synopsis:

There should be a law, a Universal Rule, as to how much weirdness can happen to a person.

Fifteen-year-old Sara walks into the San Francisco Center for the Circus Arts determined to ignore the freaky things happening to her. As powers she doesn't want and can't control overwhelm her, Sara must decide if she can trust the strangers who say they are her family... descended from a common ancestor four thousand years ago.

Sara clings to her contented and well-planned life as a foster kid, successfully working the system, as dreams, powers, and magical creatures drag her towards her destiny.

When the ancient evil that killed her parents comes to San Francisco, Sara is forced to choose between her fears and her desire to protect those she loves.

Sometimes great things are thrust upon us. Sara wishes this supposed 'greatness' didn't include a new name, unicorns, and catching on fire.


Review:

Once again, I apologize to the author for taking so long to get this read. But now that I have I'm glad I did. When I first picked up this book I really didn't want to put it down, it was very intriguing. However, somewhere in the middle it felt to me really slow and I was having a hard time actually sitting down and reading this. But once again I'm so glad I did. Here's why.... ok first it's a new and interesting story and even though it felt slow at some pints is only because it needed to build the foundation of the series itself. Finally though once you get near the 3/4 mark of the book things really start to pick up. And that's where the book/series hooks you. And BAM! Now I have all these questions running through my head. Like will Sapphire/Sara ever feel comfortable with her uncle and her new family? What is up with Taliesin? Is he the possible live interest or what? And a few others. All in all this was a good book, deserving of a 4 star rating. Now I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book on the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment